Marquette General Regional Council shifts under SHP umbrella
With more than 3,000 employees already under its umbrella, Superior Health Partners is a strategic partnership between Marquette General and Bell Hospital designed to support and create healthcare jobs and improve access to high-quality healthcare treatments and services in the Upper Peninsula.
SHP CEO and Marquette General President, A. Gary Muller, FACHE, described the transition of the Regional Council under the SHP umbrella as an historic development in the evolution of healthcare in the Upper Peninsula region.
Muller said, “As SHP expands, the role of the Regional Council will be to assist the partnership in identifying healthcare priorities in the communities scattered across the U.P.”
Formed in 1994, the Regional Council consists of 14 members from across the Upper Peninsula who are recommended by the Marquette General Board of Trustees. The purpose of the council is to consider, discuss and make recommendations on issues relevant to SHP. By doing so, the RC helps further SHP’s mission to commit to creating an integrated partnership that provides the highest value healthcare in the Upper Peninsula.
Other SHP Regional Council members include:
- Bill Coffey, Baraga, retired Friend of Court referee and retired Michigan State Police
- Nancy Dwyer, Munising, owner of “Falling Rock Café” and registered nurse at Northwoods Home Nursing
- Pete Getzen, Stephenson, mayor of Stephenson, retired Michigan State Police and licensed builder and city building inspector
- Deana Knauf, Sault Ste. Marie, health educator for the Inter-Tribal Council of Michigan
- Phil Kolehmainen, Ontonagon, owner of Kolehmainen Insurance & Real Estate
- Jayne Letts, Negaunee, executive director of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Marquette County
- Jim Lorenson, Ironwood, president of Gogebic Community College
- Bob Maki, Crystal Falls, retired engineer technician for MDOT
- David Molinare, Kingsford, retired area manager for WE Energies
- Bill Peltier, Newberry, Superintendent of Moran Township Schools
- Richard Smith, Naubinway, retired insurance executive and Mackinac Straits Board Member
- Clyde Strasler, Manistique, retired chairman of the State Savings Bank board
- Dale Tahtinen, PhD, Houghton, vice president of government relations at Michigan Tech University
- Bob Zander, Calumet, Owner of LeVeque Insurance Agency and former board member of Keweenaw Memorial Medical
Other hospitals that may be interested in working together as part of Superior Health Partners in the future would share in the commitment to superior levels of healthcare quality and efficiency.